Vaping is the new smoking. Once an alternative to traditional cigarettes, e-cigarettes or vapes are now all the rage. These trendy, nicotine filled devices are especially popular among younger generations and can contribute to the detriment of oral health much in the same way that regular tobacco does.
The dangers of smoking are common knowledge, however the dangers of vaping are often downplayed or misunderstood entirely. The depth of the dental damage might surprise you. While some people stand by it as a healthy alternative to smoking, the introduction of vaping chemicals to the body can often have the same effects.
Do you still smoke or have a loved one that does? Read carefully.
Oral Health Effects of Vaping
Vaping is still a relatively recent trend and as a result, the research regarding the topic is quite new as well. According to The American Heart Association:
- Nicotine, regardless of the method of consumption, restricts blood flow to the gums which can lead to periodontal disease (periodontitis, gingivitis, etc.)
- E-cigarette/vape fluid can include propylene glycol, benzene, formaldehyde, other other chemicals which can increase a person’s risk for developing periodontal disease, dry mouth, bad breath, mouth sores, and tooth decay
- Preliminary studies presented at the American Stroke Association linked gum disease to an increased risk for suffering a stroke
- Vaping has been linked to dry mouth, mouth ulcers, and more cavities
- Mouths exposed to e-cigarette aerosol have been noted to contain more cariogenic bacteria
- Vaping aerosols can trigger an inflammatory response in gum tissues that cause damage to DNA and result in a decreased ability for cell division, cell aging, and cell death (signs associated with cancer)
Call Balance Epigenetic Orthodontics Today
If you’re concerned about the wellness of your teeth, gums, or oral health in general as a result of vaping, call Dr. Buck today at (425) 409-2180 or visit our contact page to discuss your dental care options or schedule an appointment with us.